Jun 21, 2012

again indonesia-culture-media-malaysia

Indonesia VS Malaysia, again, I lost count on the round =.=

Few days ago there was a new regarding what-so-called-claim by Malaysia regarding Tor-Tor dance become part of Malaysian heritage. Tor tor dance is a traditional dance from Batak mandailing ethnic. I need to admit that there are batak ethnicity in Malaysia. However, I still disagree with idea about claiming a heritage, it's a matter of perspective and my perspective can't agree with such act.

Despite that, I want to give my comment toward Indonesian government, media and the people, my people. Sometimes, we simply hate Malaysia because of the claim. People raging everywhere in Indonesia, and honestly those shitty media keep adding oil to the fire. Instead of clarify what exactly happen, why, and take neutral side while trying to spread the fact, media in my opinion, fabricate stories and infusing hate toward our neighbor. The stories were fact, yet the way the tell it, make everything worse. And honestly media, screw you!!

Meanwhile, the government trying to act cool and take immediate actions, yet never deploy a concrete solution regarding this matter. Government, try to "ambil muka", show off, by doing pers conference. Asking the neighbor country to explain and so many other shitty movements just to make the public calm. Again, it is never a solution.

I've solution and I bet it can solve the problem regarding claiming culture between malaysia and indonesia. However, it might be very difficult to implemented. Nevertheless, the solution is to claim, promote, market, expand, and keep the heritage, the culture before other country start to do that. Being an Indonesian student studying in Malaysia, I know and understand how Malaysia promote their country especially in term of tourism, which where the culture part being introduced to the whole world through advertisement.

Indonesia still lack on the advertisement part. As far as I observe, till now, Indonesia is still identical with Bali, nope, Indonesia is not Jakarta (which in fact the capital city) but Bali, yes again, it is Bali.
Government still unable to market and brand Indonesia in the eye of the world as a country with various culture and ethnicity, as the largest archipelago in the world, which every island has it's own natural beauty and distinct culture. No, Indonesian government still go with Bali.

Yes there are movement to promote other part of Indonesia, such as Komodo island. However, the government neglect a certain aspect. The people !

The people is the one who will take care of the heritage, which will directly interact with the foreign tourist. The people is the catalyst of growth. Economic growth, political stability growth and of course the cultural and mar toursim growth.

Talking about the people, how to do that, it ended with a word, Education.
In malaysia, most of the people are well educated with most people able to do simple english conversation, especially those who involve directly with toursim, be them the hotel or guest house owner/staff, restaurant and food stall, souvenir stall etc, are able to talk basic english. This really give added value for the tourist. I feel comfortable talking with them using english and I personally thing it is the same with other foreigner who travel in malaysia. Difficult to find this in Indonesia.

So what government should do is to educate the people, enable them to take decision and involve in the toursim. Educate the people to appreciate their heritage, their culture and practice it in every possible time. Educate the people to take care of their heritage and culture. Educate the people to value what they have instead of adopting blindly the modern culture.

I've no idea whether this post will touch some people hearts or not, whether this post able to change something or not. At least i try to voice up my opinion. For my own self, I love my culture and treasure it, and practice it for every possible moment.

i love my country, i love my culture and heritage and I need to admit I also fall in love with Malaysia.
i don't want we fight over something we love and share together.
For people out there who simple burn by the issue, ask yourself, have you try to protect your heritage from being "stolen", maybe you should try harder, maybe we should try harder.

Nite and ciaosz!!